317 Main St, East Rochester, NY 14445, United States, New York, East Rochester, NY 14445
East Rochester was originally called Despatch because of its proximity to the railroad. The word came from the name of the first major company to locate here, the Merchants Despatch Transportation Company, most often referred to as the Carshops. Walter Parce, a native of Fairport, was instrumental in the founding of the Village. From 1893 to 1896, he purchased options on all the lands that were later to become "DESPATCH" and held them until he enticed the above company to locate its large plant here. He also founded the Vanderbilt Improvement Company to administer the sale and development of lots that were carved out of these farmlands.