308 Willow Ave,, New Jersey, Hoboken, 07030
St. Mary Hospital was opened on January 8, 1863 as a community hospital by the Poor Sisters of St. Francis, a religious congregation founded in 1845 in Germany. The hospital was opened during the American Civil War as a location to treat the returning wounded and was the second hospital ever to open in the State of New Jersey and is now its longest operating. The Sisters purchased five lots at Fourth and Willow Streets for this purpose. The money to pay for the land was raised though donations. The Stevens family, through the efforts of Martha Bayard Stevens, donated additional land and endowed a St. Martha's Ward to the new hospital.