155 Washington Ave, Mineola, NY 11501, United States, New York, Mineola, NY 11501
The land now known as Mineola was originally part of Henry Hudson's original claim in the name of the Dutch East India Company dating as far back as 1609. By the 19th century the Dutch and English settlers worked to clear land for farming to start their life on the Hempstead Plains. It was in 1858 when this land became known as Mineola, named after an Algonquin Indian Chief, Miniolagamika meaning, "Pleasant Village." The name was later shortened and altered to "Mineola." Mineola was legally incorporated in 1906 and run by a president. The president and Trustees worked to meet the needs of the growing community and later became the judicial and legislative heart of Nassau County. The County Seat found it's home in Mineola on Friday July13, 1900, Governor Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone of the Nassau County Court House. A celebration was held to commemorate this momentous occasion on the barren five-acre site at the corner of Old Country Road and Franklin Avenue. Many dignitaries were present to witness this history-making event such as, Fredrick Hicks, Congressman Townsend Scudder, Colonel William Youngs and Supervisors William Jones and Edwin Willits. Winthrop-University Hospital, originally founded in 1896 by local physicians and residents as Nassau Hospital, was Long Island's first voluntary hospital. In 1897, it admitted 91patients, performed 27 operations, and reported two births and eight deaths during the first year. The original hospital was constructed in 1900. Today, Winthrop is a nationally recognized award winning hospital and in 2004 was ranked among the Top 5 Percent of Acute-Care Hospitals in the Country.