142 Maple Ave, Rockville Centre, NY 11570, United States, New York, Rockville Centre 11570
As a community, Rockville Centre was settled for 200 years when its citizens voted for incorporation in 1893. They were dissatisfied with county services and wanted better roads and public safety, so they opted for independent status. The first action of the new village government was naming a constable and a road-repair crew, precursors of the current Police and Public Works Departments. At that time the Village had 2,000 people and was about one-third its current size. Other early decisions included the 1895 start of the water utility and the 1898 decision to generate electricity. The independent fire companies that existed prior to incorporation combined into the Fire Department, which now has seven companies. During the first 40 years the Village population grew as more land was added to the north side and the business district developed into a regional retail and banking center. It also was the time for the first traffic lights, sewers, the first apartment building and the expansion of Mercy Hospital from a small wooden structure to the core of the medical center that it is today. Development accelerated after World War II, defining Rockville Centre as "The Village of Homes" with a variety of architecture for single-family homes and co-ops and condos. During the last half of the 20th century, the expansion of services has kept pace with the needs of the community. Parking, road improvement and urban renewal were defining events. Today, Rockville Centre is diversified in housing stock, population, income, interests and even religious affiliations. The decision to go-it-alone with government "of, by and for the people" has made it one of the region's most progressive and financially sound municipalities.