200 Madison St, New York, NY 10002, United States, New York, New York 10002
Rutgers was chartered in 1766 as Queen’s College, a private institution affiliated with the Dutch Reformed Church. Queen’s College was renamed Rutgers College in 1825 after philanthropist Colonel Henry Rutgers, a Revolutionary War hero and son of colonists from the Netherlands. The university’s seal and motto were inspired by those from Utrecht University in the Netherlands. The fourth Rutgers president, John H. Livingston, a student of the ministry at Utrecht University and a key player in establishing Dutch theological education in colonial America, suggested the design in the 1820s. In the mid-19th century, Rutgers expanded its academic profile to include the sciences and expanded its student body by welcoming its first international students.