220 Sunrise Hwy, Freeport, NY 11520, United States, New York, Freeport, NY 11520
Freeport Electric (FE) was established by public referendum in 1879. The Utility commenced operation in April 1898 and provided power for 24 carbon lights. As applications for electric service began to grow, the Utility developed a rate structure to meet demand. The rate structure looked something like this: Banks, stores, stables - ¾ cent per light Hotels and saloons - ½ cent per light Residential (10 lights and under) - $3 per month Freeport Electric has always had a continued to provide safe, reliable, and economical power to residential and commercial customers for more than 118 years. Much has changed since 1898. Today, Freeport Electric serves a community of over 45,000 people with a customer base of approximately 15,000. Residential customers - 13,000 Commercial/Industrial - 1,800 Other - municipal and water - 200 The Utility operates 2 generating stations with a total installed capacity of 75,000 KW and has a system peak of 60 MW. The old interconnecting substation, with a capacity of 30 MW, was decommissioned in 1997 and replaced with a new interconnecting substation located on Sunrise Highway. The new interconnecting substation was energized in December of 1996, and has a capacity of 84 MW. This substation operates 138 kV, cost $10.5 million, is 100% redundant, and can be easily expanded in the future to carry up to 138 MW. Until the new substation was energized in late 1996, the Utility needed generation to meet its energy requirements on a daily basis. Currently, about 80% of the Utility's energy requirements are met with hydro power purchased from the New York Power Authority. However, continued low water flows on the Niagara River may reduce this in the future. Today, the Utility purchases energy whenever it is available as long as it can be purchased and transported for less money per kWh than generation.