2374 Frederick Douglass Blvd, New York, NY 10027, United States, New York, New York 10027
The site formerly consisted of city blocks with small attached homes in poor condition, and existing residents were removed via a slum clearance program. In 1952, the first tenants began moving in and the development was completed on September 30, 1954 under the Taft-Ellender-Wagner Housing Act of 1949. When the houses initially began seeking applicants, World War II veterans received priority. From 1947 to 1953, the playground at the St. Nicholas Houses on 128th Street and Seventh Avenue was the site of the Ruckers tournament until it was moved to a larger playground on 130th Street in 1954. While at the playground, Holcombe Rucker developed the tournament into five divisions: girls, junior high school, high school, college and pro.